[경향신문 기고] “이웃이 건강해야 내가 건강하다.”

환경보건시민센터 활동 언론보도
홈 > 정보마당 > 환경보건시민센터 활동 언론보도
환경보건시민센터 활동 언론보도

[경향신문 기고] “이웃이 건강해야 내가 건강하다.”

관리자 0 4009

경향신문 2020년 3월31일자에 실린 글입니다. (국제캠페인을 위한 영문번역글 맨 아래 붙입니다. 참고하세요)

“이웃이 건강해야 내가 건강하다.” 

정수용 

가톨릭 신부, 환경보건시민센터 운영위원 

사회적 거리두기가 한창이다. 여러 전문가들의 연구 결과 사회적 접촉을 줄이는 것이 전염병 확산을 막는 최선의 방법이라 하기에 모두들 적극적으로 동참하고 있다. 지난 27일 저녁(로마시간) 프란치스코 교황도 텅 빈 바티칸 베드로 광장에서 전 세계를 위해 홀로 기도하는 시간을 가졌다. 적막이 가득한 광장 사진을 본 모든 사람들은 코로나19가 가져온 심각함을 다시 한 번 느끼기도 했다. 그런데 그보다 앞선 3월 22일 프란치스코 교황은 한 스페인 언론인과의 인터뷰에서 “각국은 각자의 상황에 맞는 구체적 해법을 찾아야만 하지만, ‘각자도생’은 절대 해법이 아니다”라고 강조했다. 사회적 거리두기가 서로를 배려하며 전염병을 차단하는 것을 목적으로 하지만, 그렇다고 해서 홀로 이 모든 상황을 이겨낼 수 있는 것이 아님을 말한 것이다.  

자본주의 사회에서 경쟁 시스템은 생산력을 높여주는 원동력이 되었다. 그래서 남보다 빠르게, 남들보다 앞서서 무언가를 이루어 내는 경쟁은 이미 우리 사회에 익숙해져 있다. 기업뿐만 아니라 학교도 병원도 종교도 경쟁을 받아들였다. 하지만 이 경쟁은 효율성과 생산력의 힘으로 막대한 성장을 이루어주었지만, 그만큼 나와 타인을 나누고, 이웃마저도 경쟁의 상대로 만들어버렸다. 우리 시대가 눈부신 풍요로움을 살고 있는 것 만큼, 우리는 역사상 최고로 삭막한 세상에서 살게 된 것 또한 사실이다. 

눈에 보이지도 않는 작은 바이러스는 이제 지금까지 살아온 우리의 방식에 한계가 있음을 돌아보게 만든다. 아무리 첨단 장비로 무장을 하고, 담장을 높이 쌓아 내 집을 보호한다 하더라도, 이 세상에서 살아가며 많은 사람과 교류하는 우리는 언제 어떻게 바이러스에 감염될지 몰라 두려워하고 있다. 바이러스에 잘 대처할 수 있는 장비를 구입할 수 있고, 마스크를 쌓아놓고 살며, 전문적인 의료 시스템을 이용할 수 있는 경제적 능력을 지녔다 하더라도 이 공포는 줄일 수 없다. 결국 나와 남을 구분해서 나의 안전만을 추구하는 것은 한계를 드러낼 수밖에 없는 것이다. 내 이웃이 건강하지 않다면 그것은 그저 불쌍하고 안타까운 일로 끝나는 것이 아니라, 바로 나의 건강을 위협한다. 이웃이 불쌍하기에 내가 가진 것을 나누는 것도 훌륭한 마음이지만, 나와 이웃이 결코 떨어지지 않았음을 이해하는 것이 더 중요한 마음이다.

바이러스는 이제 우리가 살아왔던 성장의 시대에 새로운 질문을 던진다. ‘내 주변 어디까지를 방역해야 내가 안전해질까?’ 혹은 ‘나로부터 위험한 사람을 어떻게 차단해야 내가 병에 걸리지 않을까?’라고 질문해봐야 답을 찾기는 쉽지 않아 보인다. 그보단 내 주변에 누가 있는지, 그리고 그들 가운데 지금 아파하고 있는 사람은 누구인지, 우리의 시선을 바꾸어야 할 때가 되었음을 말해준다. 그래서 배척과 차단이 아닌 연대와 동참이 새로운 시대로 나아가게 해 준다는 것을 이야기 한다.

중국과 일본이 건강해야 우리가 건강하다. 대구가 아프지 않아야 내가 아프지 않게 된다. 어디까지가 나의 이웃인지 의심하고 선을 긋는 방식이 아니라, 지금 이웃의 건강을 위해 내가 가진 것을 나누고 연대한다면, 그는 나에게 건강한 이웃이 되어줄 것이다. 그리고 이렇게 내 주변을 이웃으로 만드는 것이 바로 내가 건강하게 살 수 있는 가장 빠른 지름길이 될 수 있을 것이다.   

f43fd276bf42fb82d263d1388e19204b_1585605017_7987.jpg 

정수용 이냐시오 신부님은 환경보건시민센터 창립때부터 참여해온 회원이자 운영위원입니다.

f43fd276bf42fb82d263d1388e19204b_1585604530_0253.jpg

아래는 위 정수용신부님의 글 도입부에 소개된 프란치스코 교황님의 텅빈 바티칸 광장에서의 미사관련 사진입니다.

f43fd276bf42fb82d263d1388e19204b_1585604529_9122.jpg 

My neighbor’s health is my health”

Jeong Su-yong

Catholic Father, A steering committee of Asian Citizen’s Center for Environment and Health

Social distancing is in full swing. Researchers from various fields say that the best way to prevent the spread of an epidemic is to reduce social contact and now everyone is actively participating. 

On the evening of March 27th (Central European Summer Time), Pope Francis prayed alone for the whole world at the empty Saint Peter's Square in the Vatican. Everyone who saw the picture of the completely silent square fully sensed the seriousness of COVID-19 again. 

On March 22nd, the pope emphasized in an interview with a Spanish media outlet that “each country must find a specific solution for their own situation, but finding their own and only way to survive can't be the solution”. 

The goal of social distancing is to prevent the epidemic's spread while being considerate to each other, but this doesn’t mean that one can overcome this situation on their own.

In capitalism, the competitive system was the driving force that helped increase productivity. This led our society to get accustomed to competition to achieve faster than and ahead of others. 

This is not just the case for businesses; schools, hospitals and religions also have embraced the competitive way. Efficiency and productivity based on this competition has let us achieve enormous growth, however, it created separation between us and others and caused us to regard our neighbors as competitors. Indeed, we are living in a world that is the most abundant and desolate at the same time.

This tiny, invisible virus gave us a chance to look back at the way that we have been living and its limitations. No matter how well armed with cutting-edge equipment, despite protecting our home with the highest wall, we, with no option but to live and interact with others, are afraid of the virus and infection. 

It’s impossible to reduce this fear even if you are able to buy virus-protection gear, stockpile masks and gain access to high-level health care system. In the end, perusing my own safety by separating from others will unveil its limitations. 

If my neighbor's health is threatened, it threatens my own health as well. It’s important to share what I have with neighbors out of pity, but more important is to understand that my neighbors and I share a deep connection.

The virus now raises new questions to the era of growth we have been living in. ‘Where should I apply preventive measures to make myself safe?’, 'How should I block the dangers surrounding me to ensure my health?’. 

These questions would not give you the right answers. Rather, now is the time to change attitudes by considering who my neighbors are and who among them suffer. Solidarity and participation, not rejection and blockade, can lead us to a new era.

If we want to be healthy, China and Japan should be healthy. If we don’t want to be sick, Daegu should not be sick. We should share what we have and show solidarity instead of doubting and drawing a line against neighbors, this will lead them to be our healthy neighbors. Embracing the people around me as my neighbors is the fastest way to guarantee my safety.

(Thankfully translated by CHO Yoojin and Robert W. Knoth)   

0 Comments
시민환경보건센터 후원하기